Tuesday, August 3, 2010

5 Minute craft fix


After I put the babe to bed last night I did allow myself a little crafting time. (The laundry pile is still calling me from the bedroom...) A while ago I made a little dangly for J's car seat-last night I made a second one. I love that he likes them.

A mushroom to join hoot



Here's a little tutorial, as promised...

I've had this on my mind for a while now. Like months, actually... ever since I started making things for the nursery. I really wanted to do some screen printing, but this is as close as I could get.


You need:

-5 mins
-fabric
-embroidery hoop
-wax paper
-writing utensil
-scissors/knife
-an iron
-fabric paint
-brush/paper towel (something to get the paint on)



Pretty self-explanatory but here goes... First, cut a square of fabric and a square of wax paper to fit the embroidery hoop. Once you've chosen your animal (or anything, really) to use, trace it onto the non-waxy side of the wax paper and cut it out. (Keep in mind that you're using the outside of the cut-out...) Next, place the wax paper stencil, waxy side down, on the fabric and iron it until the paper sticks to the fabric.


Paint over the stencil until the fabric area is covered. Let the paint dry a bit (if you're impatient like I am... use a hair dryer...) then carefully peel the paper from the fabric. Secure the fabric in the hoop and trim the edges. Add some embellishments if you desire, or leave it simple... Quick craft fix, complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment