Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homemade Paint

My little artist is still at the taste tester stage when it comes to things like this so I was happy to find a quick and easy paint recipe made with (safer) ingredients that I had on hand.  (saw this here & here)

You need:

  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 2 cups water
  • food coloring
Mix the first 4 ingredients and warm in a small saucepan. Stir until the mixture gets thick. (It will get a little chunky, just keep stirring)  Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool. Scoop the paint into containers (I used old baby food jars and it worked out perfectly) and add desired colors/amounts of food coloring (all I had was red so I left the others for when I get more colors...) and mix until well blended. 

This made 1 large jar and 3 small jars. 
The only negative I noticed was the food coloring I used kind of stained our hands even though he took a bath right afterward. Oh well... he had a ball so it was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment